Sunday, June 12, 2011

Day 313, Saturday a drive to the Big Muddy near Antelope.



The splash park at the Young Life Camp.

It seems we might actually be getting close to summer and I slept with the windows open and I awoke to deer in the back yard and birds chirping, it was awesome.  It's an amazing way to wake up and I was ready to start my day.
 
Today I am driving to Antelope, Oregon about 2 hours from here, with my friend Tracy.  Her company built a massive $34 million youth camp on the former Big Muddy Ranch.  This ranch has had an interesting history including once been owned by a wealthy religious cult leader the Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh.   The ranch is now however the site of two camps for Young Life. 

Located in the remote back country of Oregon, you are really in the middle of nowhere.  Once you get to the rual road turn off you drive down 12 miles of gravel roads, with pot holes large enough to swallow small cars to get there.  You are completely out of cell phone service, so it's not a good place to have car issues.  Upon your arrival however, what has been built there staggers the mind.  There are massive buildings with state of the art, sporting facilities, dorm buildings, rock climbing walls, a theater, dinning hall, ropes courses and a multi million dollar water park.  If I was a kid being sent away to camp, this is were I would want to go!  The camp is based on Christian values and will service 700 kids a week throughout summer.

Antelope Church built in 1897.

After, spending a few hours at the ranch it was time to head home.  The drive is beautiful with spectacular rolling green hills.  I was kind of surprised and had flash backs to my trip, as much of the scenery looked a lot like what I saw in Ireland.  Tracy let me drive home and we stopped off in Antelope and took a few pictures of buildings that dated back to 1897.  At Antelope we took a different route home and went to Shaniko, a "ghost town" which actually still has people and is a nice road side stop on Hwy 97.  We strolled around town and then headed home.


Just outside of Antelope, Oregon.

We had a great day and decided to go to a movie at 7:15pm.  It was now 5pm, so I let Tracy's and went home to clean up and get ready for the movie.  Tracy picked out the movie Bridesmaid, which was shockingly funny, but painful at times.  It was a nice way to end a great day.


No comments:

Post a Comment