Sunday, October 16, 2011

Day 439, A beautiful Saturday

Freshly trimmed boxwood's
I was wide awake by 7 am and I thought to myself, what the heck?  All week long it seems like if I could just sleep in, I would feel so good, but now that I can, I'm wide awake.  There was no way I was getting out of bed, so laid there for another hour.

The sun was shining and I had a ton of chores I wanted to get done outside and I was sure it would take all day.  I had so much pruning to do, the first thing I did was get out the hedge trimmers and started at the garage.  The boxwood's all needed to be shaped up, as well as the willows and I needed to cut down the last of the Shasta Daisy s.  I must have hauled 5 massive loads to the back, but the yard really looked good.  Getting the yard ready for winter is a big chore.
Corn and pumpkins at the head of the driveway

Next on the list was to harvest the corn stalks and tie them up at the end of the driveway.  I am always shocked how fast time goes.  It seems like yesterday I was just planting the corn and now it's time to cut it down.  I always think of this day when I'm planting the garden and now here it is.  My pumpkins did not grown this year, so I will have to pick up a few at the store to place at the bottom of the stalks.

The last thing I  had to do was put up the Halloween Witch and Cats.   I cut these out of plywood about 3 years ago from a Martha Stewart pattern.  Tracy's friend Marci was coming in to visit Tracy from her tour in Iraq and Tracy thought it would be a fun project for us to do.  We went shopping at Lowe's to buy all the materials and paint and then I went to work.  It was the last time I saw Marci, and she passed away the following year from exposure to toxic chemicals while in Iraq.  Every year now when I put the witch up I remember Marci and what a wonderful person she was.

Witch and cats by the pond.
At 5:30 pm I headed over to my folks house to have my Father's birthday dinner.  I brought the cake that I made Thursday and I hoped it would taste okay.  My brother and his family and Tracy were all going to meet at my folks and then go out to dinner.  Dinner reservations were at 6:15 pm and I was starving.

After dinner we came back to my folks house for cake and ice cream.  It was the moment of truth, the cake looked great and smelled even better.  My grandmother had made this cake as far back as my Father could remember and it's his favorite.  The cake was perfect.  I was happy it turned out good and I think even my grandmother would have been pleased.

It was a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment