Friday, October 28, 2011

Day 450, Cold morning

Today I have to drive to Silverton for a conference and it is cold outside.  I'm sure the mountain pass is clear but figure I will take my truck just in case the weather turns while I'm gone.  I love the drive over the mountains and I enjoy the scenery.  The fall colors were spectacular and as expected the roads were very clear, however there was a lot of frost in the shaded areas.  The temperature ranged anywhere from 23 to 32, so it was COLD.

On the way to Silverton I drove through Sublimity and the famous Wooden Nickel, where I used to meet Robin, her mother and her 90+ year old aunt for lunch.  Robins lived up the road at an assisted living community.

The Wooden Nickel in Sublimity


I got to Silverton at 10:50 am and checked in with the group.  My room wasn't ready and I had about an hour to kill.  I was starting to get a little hungry, so I headed into downtown Silverton to see what I could find.  It then hit me, that I had packed my black suit, but I forgot to pack black socks, so I needed to find a store.  I happened to pass a Rite Aid and I figured for sure I could some there.  They had a 3 pack for $10 called "huskyfoot".  I'm not sure I have a husky foot but they would be fine.

The conference started at 1:20 pm and and went to 5:00 pm with buses boarding at 5:30 pm to take us to a welcome reception and a dinner hosted a local brewery.  The location was very fun and they had plenty of beer on tap.  The food was excellent and everyone had a great time networking and getting to know one another.  By 8 pm, we were back on the bus and heading back to the Oregon Garden Resort.

At the resort about 18 of us sat down in the lounge and great conversations about work and the challenges of this economy.  By 9:30 pm I was exhausted and headed back to my room.  It had been a long day.

No comments:

Post a Comment