Sunday, March 20, 2011

Day 229, Tree shopping and Cupola building

Winter does not want to let go and it was spitting snow in the morning.  I got up and started doing my Saturday morning chores.  I also needed to run several errands including running to the Post Office, picking up Chicken feed and the tree shopping.


10' to 11' Colorado Blue Spruce trees
I needed to do some tree shopping, so I went out to McPheeters Nursery and  I got a guided tour of the trees from the owner. They had lots of 10' Colorado spruces that would be perfect.  At a little over 700lbs each it is going to take a special crew to plant them.

Back home, my brother and his boys were cleaning up the limbs on the 40 acres.  There was an amazing amount of damage done to the trees during the snow storm two weeks ago.  My brother has also constructed a shed on my parents property directly across from driveway.  It looks like box with a garage door, so it needs to be dressed up so it doesn't look so awkward.  My brother had saved some siding so I could build a cupola for the roof.  With a cupola and a weathervane it should look more like a small barn and fit more with the country setting.

I got the body of the cupola built before dark and tomorrow I'll work on the roof.  I will need to run to Lowes to buy some screws and trim to complete the cupola.  I also went on line and shopped for weathervanes which range anywhere from $19, to $300.  I would like to find one that is to scale and is attractive, but one that will not become a target for theft or target practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment