Sunday, March 20, 2011

Day 230, Building a Cupola

It may be the first day of Spring, but you would never know it.  It was snowing lightly and there was about an inch of snow on the ground.  It was a great morning to stay in bed and just take in the morning nice and slow.

Church was at 11am and I was to be an usher, so I needed to be there by 10am.  When I walked in the door I was greeted with, "Good morning, you're going to be the lead usher".  I had no idea what that meant, I've only ushered twice before and I wasn't paying attention to what the lead usher does.   Luckily, one of  the more senior member stepped in and took over and I just had usher as usual.

The start of the cupola

After church I needed to run by Lowes and pick up a few trim pieces, and a couple boxes of screws.  I figured I would be able to assemble the cupola and have it ready to go up on the shed by Monday.  The cupola is built in two parts the body, which is just a big box with the pitch of the roof cut out and the roof.  By the time I get all the trim on and the roofing it will be kind of heavy to lug up a ladder, so by building it in two parts it makes it a little easier to get up on the roof.

Once the cupola is on the roof I'll have to put a weathervane on it.  I'm waiting for input from my folks but I haven't heard from them yet.

The chickens were out for most of the day and really went to town digging in the flower beds  I'm not sure how I am going to grow a garden or flowers with them constantly digging everything up.

It was a cold  yucky day, so it was great day to be in the garage working on a project.

No comments:

Post a Comment