Monday, February 13, 2012

Day 559, Packard transmission issues

Service manual for Packard transmissions
Today I got call from Rick who's working on the Packard and he wasn't happy.  It turns out the very expensive transmission and overdrive I bought for the Packard are in sad shape.  I was told they were good from the seller who runs a large Packard parts business and I trusted him.  As it turns out the insides are pretty chewed up and it is going to take a substantial amount of work to get them working again, after we find all the parts needed to rebuild them.  Luckily, I am a member of the Oregon Packard Club and with one email I had the call out for help amongst the club members.  With their help I am pretty sure we will be able to find the expertise and parts we need.  Rick needs an "explosion" of the transmission and overdrive to identify all the pieces and the order in which they go together.  I have several manuals and service books, but they don't go into the detail which he needs.

Testing out mattresses in the store
After work I went to look at mattresses and I laid on several for nearly an hour.  I couldn't tell the difference and the ones I thought were perfect were too soft and the firm ones all seemed too hard.  I couldn't find anything that seemed balance the two and I started to wonder if I was just going slightly crazy.  There was one mattress that after I laid on it for 30  minutes, my back wasn't hurting, so maybe that is an option.  My friend Tracy stopped in after I had been there 40 minutes, she was on her way to a class, and she laid on several mattress and she suggested I give the bed I have at home some more time and see if I just need to adjust to it.  This seemed like a good idea and on her way home from her class she said she would stop by and see of what I'm complaining about is fact or a sign that I'm going nuts.  I thought this sounded like a good line for getting in my bed, but hey whatever works.  The guy in the store chuckled and wasn't quite sure what to think of us.

I was exhausted and tired of laying on beds; I was ready to go home and take a nap!?

Tracy stopped by after her class and confirmed the mattress was not comfortable and while at first seemed soft it was very firm with no support, so I'm not totally nuts.


No comments:

Post a Comment