Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Day 573, New wheels and tires for the Traveleze

New white walls and caps
It was a big day for the Traveleze.  Justin is back from a two week tropical escape and the first thing he did was to get the new whitewall tires mounted on the new rims.  The Traveleze has an usually long axle and the moon caps didn't fit over the ends.  Luckily, Justin had another set of caps with a elongated bullet point that worked and the with the chrome trim rings looked amazing.  At first I thought they looked like "Turkish Nipple Armor", jokingly, but seeing them in person, I thought they looked great.

The Traveleze almost all done.
The entire trailer is nearly complete and tomorrow they will hang the blinds and other than polishing and some door trim, it should be ready to come home.  Naturally however, there is snow on the ground and the next big storm is coming in tomorrow.  I asked Justin about  having one of his guys polish it, but I really should get my butt in gear and do it myself.  I was so happy seeing the tires on the trailer and seeing it all come together.  It's been a long journey and a learning process for both Justin and myself.  I am very pleased with what Justin has done and the end result is a real work of art.

The new awning on the Traveleze
The awning for the trailer had arrived too, so we got it out and attached it to the trailer.  The awning is the perfect finishing touch and it looked fantastic.  The colors and strips add a vintage feel and a little extra creature comfort to the 50's camping experience.  I can't help but wonder what it would have been like to have bought the Traveleze new and to have gone camping in 1950?  Hopefully I will be able to re-create that experience as close as possible.

I also, can't help but wonder who bought the little trailer new and what did they pull it with? I know the family who owned it since the early 1960's and they still live in La Pine, Oregon. I plan on contacting them when the trailer is done and sending them some pictures. 

Hopefully this new life for the Traveleze will be less stressful on it than its first and hopefully it will be treated with lots care over its next 62 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment