Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Day 553, Tuesday and the Traveleze is almost ready to come home.

I had a 5:30 pm meeting in Bend, so I left the office a few minutes early to drive in and to leave me a few minutes to visit the Trailer.  They would like to send the Traveleze home with me for a few weeks and then bring it back when the new wheels and the blinds arrive.  This will give me time to polish the exterior and determine if there is anything else I want fixed or adjusted.

The plan is to bring the trailer home tomorrow and I'll have two weeks to play with it.  This also means I needed to make the final payment on trailer.  The project had grown tremendously from the original discussion, but the shock of the final number nearly stopped my heart.  I think none of us realize just how time consuming a project it was going to be.  Absolutely nothing was standard on the Traveleze.  I know I have done some really stupid things in my life, but restoring a trailer has to be the all time pinnacle of ridiculousness.  My initial discussion with Justin we actually talked about crushing the little trailer after seeing the extent of the damage and sending it off to a landfill.  In hindsight that is exactly what I should have done.  However, what Justin and his team have created is a true work of art, and something that turned out far better than my imagination could dream of and something that truly belongs in museum.

Luckily I have the funds to pay for something so magnificent, but my brain kept telling me "what in the heck did you just do?"  I blew way past my comfort zone in expense for a 14' trailer and it will take me weeks or months to come to terms with what I spent on it, if ever.  I do anticipate that with time and lots of enjoyment I will be able to rationalize and even justify the cost in my head.

I think the color returned to my face around 9:30 pm and I cleaned out a space in my shop for the trailer to spend the next few weeks.  It was starting to snow, so who knows what tomorrow will be like, but I have a place for the Traveleze inside if it can get here.  After 9 months the Traveleze is coming home.

2 comments:

  1. Bah, like you said you have the funds. You now have a custom vintage NEW trailer. If it had gone to the landfill you'd probably miss it the rest of your life. You're going to have lots of fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jim, I'm feeling a little better about it and I'm sure I'll have lots of fun.

    E

    ReplyDelete