Thursday, February 9, 2012

Day 554, Wednesday

With my heart firmly beating again, my brain had been working overtime trying to come up with all the excuses on why restoring a 14 foot trailer wasn't the dumbest thing I have ever done.  First I came up with the fact that I love the trailer, it's shape and cozy character are awesome.  Second, it was an interesting learning process and we saved a unique piece of American trailer history.  Third, if I enjoy the trailer half as much as I think I will, then it is worth it.  Many people buy cars or motor homes and loose substantially more then I will if I were to try to sell it.  Fourth, I got to meet some great people at Flyte Camp, who I hope will be friends for a long time.

12' 1954 Traveleze
The plan for the day was to bring the Traveleze home around 9:30 am, but we had show on the ground and it was now starting to rain.  The roads were covered in glycol and cinders, due to the snow and ice, so the road condition were downright ugly.  Justin texted at 9 am and said lets hold off and see how the day goes, but the day remained wet and nasty and we decided to hold off until the weekend.


For some reason I found myself looking on line under Traveleze and I came across an posting for a 12' 1954 Traveleze that received a rebuild much like mine.  It was stunning and when I get my trailer fully polished I think I will have something equally as spectacular.  I then found another posting for the same trailer, only this time it was a For Sale listing.  The price nearly stopped my heart again, $11,000!  I started to get light headed and think "what have I done" all over again.  It took a little investigating, but I soon realize that the posting was nearly 11 years old, so if I figured with inflation and the recent surge in the interest of vintage trailers, I wasn't to far off. Plus mine was 2' longer, it has a heater and AC, and it has an oven (I was grasping for any justification for what I spent).

The fact is, nothing is cheap anymore. Labor and materials are all expensive and I didn't do the work myself (a good choice) and the end result is one awesome trailer.  If my trailer looks half as good as this 1954, and I know it will, I will be very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment