Sunday, February 26, 2012

Day 572, Sunday, church and cars

I am so happy with my new bed and last night I slept like a rock.  I laid in bed until 8:30 am and I could have stayed there another hour.  It was the perfect Sunday, I got up slowly, had a nice breakfast and spent the morning picking up around the house and listing to music on Pandora. 

At a little before 11 am, I headed off to church and I stopping to pick up my good friend Doug along the way.  For the first time, in a long time, we were early and actually beat the choir before they came singing in.  This is the first Sunday of Lent and there was a good attendance.  The music was good, the sermon was good and it was an all around great morning.  Just before church got out, I received a text that Rick was ready for me to bring the engine over.  I texted back that I would be on my way within a half hour.  Doug and I left immediately after the service and took Doug home and then I drove home to change cloths and get the truck.

Heading to Prineville
It was a beautiful morning and I was soon heading to Prineville to unload the engine and to share with Rick the pictures I took of the 53 Mayfair.  Rick was working on his 1970 Corvette Stingray that has been giving him fits with the brakes.  I helped him with bleeding the brakes and fixing the one pop-up headlight that was stuck. 

Rick had the engine out of my truck in a flash and he was pleased with what I had picked up.  We of course don't know what the inside looks like, but as long as it's not internally cracked we have something we can rebuild.  He was going to call the engine shop tomorrow and see if we can get it right in.

Packard 282 engine stamped 8-28-40
I spent most of the afternoon hanging out with Rick and we talked extensively about the 53.  There is a lot of work to do there.  It is a great car to work with, but it pretty much needs to be completely restored again.  I really love the car and would love to have it and restore as I go.  Much of the work that needs to be done immediately will require the rest of the restoration to follow quickly.  Rick gave me a number where he thinks the car should be and then I need to determine how much I'm willing to move from that price to meet the owner wants for a price.  This is always the part that causes me to freeze, from the fear of offending someone.  I just need to think what I want to do and move from there, it's a business transaction and finding the middle ground is what its all about.  One thing for sure, the 53 would look amazing pulling the Traveleze.

It was a beautiful evening and I finished up a few chores around the house and just enjoyed the remainder of the weekend.  I even caught the last hour of Oscars on TV.  At bed time it started snow and it looked like it had the potential to really amounting to something.  I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment