Saturday, February 25, 2012

Day 571, A cold snowy day.

A light dusting of snow, February 25, 2012
I went to bed around 1:30 am last night, or is that this morning.  It was windy and stormy all night.  When I woke up around 7 am, it was snowing and blowing sideways.  I closed my eyes and fell back to sleep for another 45 minutes.  It was so nice not to have to get up in a hurry.

There were the usual weekend chores that I needed to do and I was behind on laundry, so I got up and started the first load.  The kitchen was a mess from last night and I cleaned up the mess from all the Seattle trip.  The cats were demanding their breakfast too, so I fed them.  Why they will not eat the cat food that is in the bowl, I will never know.  I always have to give them a scoop fresh from the bag out on the deck.

A Packard 282 engine, waiting to be rebuilt.
I sent a text off to Rick to see if I could bring the engine over and I was eager to tell him about the 53.  As it turns out they had a funeral to go to and we scheduled for tomorrow.  I spent a little time looking at the engine in the back of my truck.  It looks pretty crusty, but I think it will be a good core and we hopefully will be able to rebuild it.

The only other outing for the day was to head to Vet to pick up shots for my cat.  As it turns out he is vitamin B12 deficient and I get to give him shots for the next 12 weeks.  I hope this will show some results and I can get some meat back on his skinny bones.

I couldn't help but think about the 53 Packard all day, it consumed my thoughts.  I calculated the cost for bringing her back to her former glory.  The cost quickly started adding up, body and paint work $10-$15k, interior $5-$7k, new window felting, rubber doors, trunk and top seals, rust repair etc.  I could easily see myself spend another $25-$30k on the car, but wow, would it be stunning.  A lot of this could happen over time and I wouldn't have to rush on restoring the car.  I would definitely want to fix the floors and give her a tune up.  The hydraulics would need to be fixed, so the windows and top were functioning.  The rest could be started in stages over the years.  Of course I have to have to have a hitch attached to the frame as soon as possible, so I can tow the Traveleze.

It was a nice day and enjoyed being home and just puttering around the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment