Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Day 552, Big day for the Packard

It seems when it rain it pours.  I took the Rolls in to be repaired and I'm hoping for a miracle that it wont cost and arm and leg.

The 1942 Packard ready for some much needed restoration work.
At around noon I received a phone call from my good friend Rick, who runs a professional car restoration shop that he is ready for my 1942 Packard.  I have been waiting for 5 years to get my car into him and he is now finally ready for it.  He is going to do a complete mechanical rebuild, fixing everything back to original condition and making sure that everything is functioning properly.  There are so many things not working on the car, it was easier to tell him what worked. 

I left work at 4 pm to drive the Packard to Prineville and Rick's shop.  I cleaned out the car and loaded all the parts that I had accumulated over the 5.5 years that I have owned the car.  It was 23 degrees for the high temperature for the day and I was driving a car with no heater.  The under the dash heater is in a box in the trunk along with an overdrive transition, brake parts and lots of other stuff. 
1920 Premier Roadster

It takes about 40 minutes to get to Prineville and Rick's shop and I got there about 5:15 pm with plenty of day light which is a good thing as the headlights like to periodically shut off while driving at night.  Rick had several cars in his shop and I was particularly drawn to a 1920 Premier roadster that  he was working on.  The original family was having "Grandpa's" car restored.  The store is that Grandpa bought 2 Premiers the same day in 1920 and this roadster is the only one know to exist and cost a staggering $4,000 in the day.  Even in primer, the car's lines are classic.

My friend and neighbor Jon, picked me up and brought me home.  I will be anxiously awaiting the next few months to pick my car up and see how much better it drives and operates.  

No comments:

Post a Comment