Saturday, September 24, 2011

Day 417, Friday road trip

1932 Packard
It was another busy week and today is Friday, yeaaa!  Today at 11:30am I needed to leave for a meeting in Silverton, Oregon at the Oregon Garden Resort.  I estimated that it would take about 2 hours and 15 minutes to get there from Redmond, so if I left at 11:30am I would have some spare time.  It was a beautiful day and I figured I would take the BMW, since it gets the best gas milage and it was topless.

1929 Hudson
At 2pm I was about 5 minutes from reaching the Resort, so I had miss calculated the time it would take to get there.  When I pulled into the parking lot more members of the Board were just pulling in so I waited so we could all walk in together.  As it turned they were just starting and we perfect in our timing.  The meeting was exactly 2 hours and by 4pm I was ready to head back home.

Out in the parking lot there were a number of vintage cars and as I looked around I could see that there lots of them.  I walked around the parking lot and talked to several of the owners and found out it was a Rally for the Horseless Carriage Club, which I think is pre 1932.   The cars were spectacular and I was in love with a 1932 Packard roadster and a 1929 Hudson.

Field burning
After looking at all the cars it was time to head home.  The Silverton area is beautiful rolling farm land, and the fields were all harvested for the summer.  One of the Willamette Valley traditions is to burn the field after the harvest, which is a horrible smokey mess that used to darken the sky and the smell of burnt grass was awful.  I haven't seen a field burn in years but I drove right by one on my way back to the highway.

It took me 2 and half hours to get home and the sun was had set and the sky was turning dark.  I was so glad it was the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment