Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Day 419, Sunday and more painting

painting the trim
I spent the morning looking at the new wall color in the living room and getting used to the darker tone.  It looks great, but there is definitely a different play of light.

Church is at 11am and today I'm usher, so I need to be there by 10:30am.  I don't know what it is about Sunday mornings, but I'm always a little late.  Ushering went well, the service was entertaining, thanks to our great Pastor, Rob. The hour always goes very quickly and soon I was out the door.

On the way home I stopped at my folks house and pick up an extension ladder, so I could paint the trim on the barn.   I really need to paint the entire barn before winter, but I the trim is the worst part and I really need to get it done.  When I got home with the ladder I looked at the cupola and I could tell it needed paint too.  I got changed and went to work.

The cupola all painted up
The south facing trim was the worst, so that is where I started, it's also the highest part of the barn.  The ladder was only good for the low ends of the trim and the rest I would have to hang over the edge from on top of the roof to get it done.  I was not to thrilled about hanging over the edge of the roof and I had visions of falling off.

After I got the south end painted and since I was already on the roof, I decided to get the cupola painted.  It was looking pretty tough, so it was nice to get it all painted back up.  It has been about 8 years since the barn was built, so it was time for some attention.  It took about two hours to get the cupola all painted up and it looked great.  The view from the roof is amazing and I actually enjoyed being up there.



The view from the roof
Back on the ground I still had about 200' of trim to paint and I could only do this by moving he ladder 6' at a time from the ground and climbing up and painting 6' and then moving on.  By sunset I was almost done, but I was running out of paint.  As it was getting dark I was about 25' short of finishing the trim and would have to wait until tomorrow, when I could pick up more paint.


It was time to move inside and I figured I could paint the wall around the front door.  This was a bigger project than I expected and I finished up around 11:45pm.  It looked great and by the time I got into bed it was a little after midnight.


Wall around the front door painted.
I also remember that I had not closed the chickens in for the night, so put on my shoes and went out and closed them in.  They had laid 4 eggs today, so they had earned their keep.

No comments:

Post a Comment