Saturday, December 18, 2010

Day 138, Friday and time for a party

Today my office host its annual coffee event where everyone brings a white elephant gift and we all exchange and take turns sharing what we received.  We had 114 members in attendance and everyone had a great time.  We sang three Christmas songs after open our gifts and had many laughs.  It was a fun morning.



Getting ready for the party.

Back at the office I checked in with emails and answered a few phone calls, but then I got ready to go home and put the final preperations together for the party. 


The estimated attendance for the party is around 100 and I still had lots to do.  Extending the dining table, getting out the cups, wine glasses, napkins, candles, and preparing the food were just a few of the things I need to accomplish.  My folks were going to come by after 12pm to help and their assistance is always welcomed.  My mother had also baked over 7 kinds of cookies and she was going to bring them over.  I love my MOM!


Outside I needed to string Christmas lights along the pathway from the back pasture, through the yard and to the back door.  I also need to line the driveway past the barn, so people can find the parking in back pasture.  My father swept the remaining snow off the gravel path from the back porch all the way through the yard and past the Traveleze parked behind the barn.

New York City at Christmas
The Chickens were not happy about me not letting them out, but I wanted them all inside when the guest start arriving at 5pm. I did give them fresh water and lots more scratch and oats.  They had laid another 5 eggs today.

The first guest arrived at 4:50pm just as I was finishing slicing up the pork loin.  All I had to do was light the candles and I was set.

Mean while, while I'm working on getting ready for the party, my friends Robin and Brad, Dr. Nick and Ann are in NYC.  Robin sent me 2 picture, and I must admit I thonght it look like a heck of a lot of fun.  New York City is one amazing city and I haven't been back, since my Eastern Airline days in the late 80's.  They 9:15pm dinner reservation under the Brooklyn Bridge and they were enjoying the city all dressed up for the holidays.


The New York City icon Macy's
The party was in full swing in not time and the food, wine and laughter flowed continuously.  Several guest brought their children and I had gifts for all of the kids.  I remember being a child and my parents friends having something for me under the tree and I never forgot it.  I want to create the same memories for my friends children, so there are always a few extra, hot wheels and stuffed animals, under the tree.

The party ended around 10pm, as the invite said and my parents who served wine and drinks all night stayed to help me clean up.  The mess is always amazing, but we had it cleaned up in a hour, the dishwasher running, the sterling washed, wine glasses carefully dried and another great party was put to bed. 

My father had parked out in the back pasture and we started his car remotely and let it run before he went to get it.  We had a lot load up, and it was 25 and snowing, so the remote was very handy.

As I started to turn off the lights, the soft snow was putting a hush on the busy day.  It was beautiful and so tranquil, its no wonder why December and winter are my favorite time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment