Monday, December 20, 2010

Day 140, Winter wonderland

Church bird house in the snow
Sunday morning was perfect with a dusting of new snow.  The house had that chilled around the edges feel, and I stayed in bed until 8am.  The cats were cozy on the foot of the bed and they had no intention of getting up and going outside.
 
The back of the house





The windmill in the snow
I  finally got up and went out and checked on the chickens and they were doing pretty well.  I really needed to clean out the coop, so I got a trash bag, and fresh newspapers.  They were very interested in what I was doing and wouldn't leave the coop.  They have been pecking at the Styrofoam insulation that line the walls and floor so much that, I just removed the last bits of it and figured if they didn't want it in there I'd take it out.  With fresh newspaper down and the nesting boxes back in place.  I put in shreds of newspaper in the boxes and the Buff Orpington jumped right in before I finished and went about her business of laying an egg.

The old farm rake.

House from the driveway
The front door and sled
The snow was so amazing, that I decided to get the camera and take some pictures.  I couldn't help but look at everything and how the snow just seems to transform things and make you look at them with fresh eyes.  There seemed to be photo opportunities everywhere.



My parents property across the street

My neighbors home and barn
My street
At 2pm I had to leave to pick up my friend Tracy, then my folks and head to the Son's of Norway Lodge in Bend.  Tonight is the third and final night of their Christmas dinner and I said I would bring the crew to put the event on.  We arrived at 3:15pm and immediately began boiling potatoes, carrots and baking the hams.  The snow was coming down pretty good, so we wondered if it would have an impact on the 85 dinner reservations.  By 5:30pm we were completely ready and by 6pm the guests started to arrive.  The evening turned out great and everyone had a good time.  My parents, Tracy and left the Lodge at 10:30pm.


After I dropped off Tracy and my folks, the nearly full moon on the snow was so beautiful I had to grab my camera again and this time take a few videos.  It was amazing, especially the potting shed in the snow.  I have a radio in the shed and Christmas music was playing.  I couldn't help but feel the spirit of the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment