Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Day 121, Time to make a Cactus

Tuesday was another busy day and when I got home this evening I had to make a barbed wire cactus for the Hospice Tree Auction in Prineville.

I rushed home after work knowing that it would take me a little over 3 hours to make the cactus.  I have to cut 12 pieces of barbed wire that are 11' long.  Once they are cut I loop each end to a small 6" x 6" piece of wood and then take 19mm wire and start shaping the cactus.  I start at the bottom wrapping around each piece of barbed wire, forming arms and the body as I go and then end up at the top.  It usually takes about 30' of fine wire to hold the cactus in place.  When the cactus is done, I stick it in clay pot, fill the pot with gravel and then wrap chilly pepper light around it.  At auction it usually sells anywhere from $250 to $3,000.  It's the cause that people are supporting and not my craftsmanship, but it's a fun way to contribute to a worthy cause.

You have to love these Christmas classics.
The Hospice Tree Auction in Prineville is this Friday, so it will be interesting to see how it goes.  I finished the cactus at about 9:30pm after taking a few moments out of the evening to catch part of the Grinch and Shreck. Ya gotta catch these holiday classics, well, at least the Grinch.

I'm on the home stretch for reading the Bible in 90 Days and  only have 4 days left to read.

The Chickens spent part of the day outside and they laid 2 eggs.  I think they have been enjoying the slightly warmer temperature, but the egg production is way too low, even with a light on inside their coop.

No comments:

Post a Comment