Saturday, December 25, 2010

Day 145, Christmas Eve

It was wonderful to not have to get up early and head to work.  I did how ever get up early and start baking pies and cleaning the  house.  I had the pies in the oven 9am and I did 4 loads of laundry before 11am.  I also was able to clean the kitchen and my office where I had been wrapping paper. I felt I had a pretty productive morning.

Chickens in the snow...they didn't know what to do.


I had a few gift deliveries that I needed to make, so pulled the truck out and loaded up a few gifts.  The temperature has warmed up quite a bit and the snow was really starting to melt.  I drove all over delievering the gifts and splashing through the slush on the road.   It made me realize that I have not wash my truck since Thanksgiving and desperately needed to wash the truck and get the magnezium chloride off my wheels before it pits the chrome.  I've never washed a truck in the snow, but I managed to get it clean.


Candle light service at Church, Christmas Eve.

With the gifts delievered I checked on the chicken.  They seemed interested in getting out so I left the door open and several flew out and landed in the snow.  They seemed to be a bit a shock and didn't move.  After about 5 minutes of them standing still, feet deep in the snow, I decided to pick them up and put them back in the pen.  There were no complaints I picked each one back up and put them in the pen.


I started to lad my truck to take the gifts and pies over to my folks house for Christmas.  We were going to have a light dinner tonight because Church was holding their service at 7pm.  We snacked  on spiral cut ham, cheese, sliced roast beef and sweets of all kinds. 


My office Christmas Card, from the
1983 movie A Christmas Story

Church service was beautiful with lots of singing of Christmas classics and then they turned out the lights and everyone lit candles and we sang Silent Night.  It was very special and I was so pleased to be there with my folks and my good friend Doug.  Doug is new to the Church and think he enjoyed the service very much.  My mother was impressed he knew all the words to the songs, before she realized all the words were projected on the wall.

 After church, we dropped off Doug and then I drove my parents home.  We thought it would be a good time for more sweets, so we broke out the cookies and egg nog.  I then put in my favorite movie "A Christmas Story" and we watched it on the big screen in my parents TV room.  My mom had never seen it all the way through, so she was excited to see it.  My favorite line in the move is "some men are Baptist, other Catholics, my father was an Oldsmobile man".  My parents had an Oldsmobile 98 when I was kid growning and I have fond memories of that car.  I keep telling my Dad I'm going to buy a 1937 Olds just like the one in the movie.

Christmas Eve in the Potting Shed.
I came home around 11pm and decided it was a good time to go out in the potting shed and light a fire in the pot belly stove.  Harris the cat decided to come along and share the moment.  With Christmas music playing, a warm fire in the stove, a soft wingbacked chair to sit in and the Christmas tree gleeming, it was a perfect way to welcome in Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment