Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Day 252, A drive to Eugene

My day started at 5am, as I got ready to drive to Eugene for the first full day of the Governor's Conference on Tourism.   I needed to leave by 5:30am, in order to get there by the 8am breakfast.    It was very cold and raining slightly as I left the house, so I was a bit concerned that I might run into snow on the mountain.

By the time I got to Sisters, it was snowing, so I knew the mountain pass was going to be a bit of trouble.  When I passed Suttle Lake, it was snowing hard and I had to shift into 4 wheel drive.  I was behind several cars and we were all driving about 30 mph.  At the top of pass, about 5,500 feet, the roads were packed snow and it looked like January.  There are two mountain passes to go over with in about 10 miles and soon I was heading down the western side of the Cascades.

I have driven this pass hundreds of times and know exactly how long it takes (2 hours and 15 minutes) and I know where the one hour mark is in both direction.   I was about a half hour behind schedule, so I knew I was going to be late.

I got to the conference at 8:15am and I checked in and went to the breakfast session.  I was only going to be at the conference for the day and I planned to leave by 6pm to get back home.  The conference was a little repetitive and I had heard several of the speakers before, so I was not thrilled.  The luncheon speaker was great, talking about Twittering and Facebook in the work place.

I left the conference at 6pm and stopped to get something to eat.  The roads were better on top, but I still slowed way down as the temperature was 26 and the roads were slick with ice.  I finally got home at 9pm; it was one long day.

I checked on the chickens and they laid 4 eggs...slackers.

No comments:

Post a Comment