Sunday, April 17, 2011

Day 257, First car show of the season


The first outdoor car show of the season

Saturday, April 16, 2011 marks the first outdoor car show of the season and the weather looked like it was going to cooperate.  I had washed the Packard the weekend before, so it was ready to go.  Registration began at 9am and the show runs until 2pm.  I planned on being downtown shortly after 9am, so I had a nice leisurely morning waking up.


The show had approximately 112 cars and I was number 105.  The temperature was in the low 50's and there was no wind, so it was actually very enjoyable.  The sun tried to burn through high clouds, but there was just enough overcast that it never fully made it out.

I had lots of people stop and look at the Packard and it was fun hearing their stories about once having a Packard back in the day.  Many people had no idea of the story behind the Packard Motor Car company, or that they were once the top of the line in luxury automobile in the world. At 1:30pm they had the awards ceremony and the Packard took 2nd Place in the all "stock" category.

New trees on the 40 acres

By the time I got  home around 2:15pm the trees had arrived across the street and my brother, his boys and a few hired hands were unloading the 14 trees.  Each tree was estimated to weigh about 900 lbs and it took the help of a forklift and small tractor to get them all in place.   I parked the Packard the head of the driveway and went to  help.

After about an hour of carefully placing and back-filling, each tree was now in its new home.  Tomorrow we will have to do a bit more straightening and added lots of water to make sure they are happy in their new home.  On Monday the gentleman who is farming the land will help my brother place an irrigation line to drip water the trees and we will flood them to make sure they have all the water they need to rooted.

At 5pm I was to be at my good friend, Mary Ann's, 40th Birthday party.  I had just enough time to shower and get ready to go.   Mary Ann was going to get a dozen eggs from chickens and a large orange feathered chic taped on top from my friend Tracy and me as our gift.   I'm sure it was going to be a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment