Sunday, April 24, 2011

Day 264, Saturday, May 23

It was the first day that actually felt like spring, the sun was shining, the birds were singing and for the first time in a long time, there wasn't that cold bite in the air.  I'm sure there are still a few snow flakes left to come before summer gets here, but it was nice to feel the sun and not need a coat.

There were plenty of chores to do outside, raking the yard, pulling weeds, picking up pine cones, mowing the lawn and blowing the bark-dust out of the gravel paths (thanks to the chickens). 

The Chickens had laid 4 eggs by 10am, so I let them out to enjoy the day.  They really are amazing little creatures and love to be near me when I'm out in the yard.  I think they know where their main source  of food comes from, but still it's fun to have them around.

I had several errands to run in town too, so I fired up the old Packard and put the top down.  I turned on the oldies music (i Pod Shuffle) and ran to town.  It was really a beautiful day.


With a new Sears Die Hard battery, she's ready to go for summer,
when and if it ever arrives.
When I got back home, I decided with the trailer at the restoration shop, I could move the pickup behind the shop and pull the BMW out of storage.  All of the cars are on battery chargers, so I unplugged the charger, but when I went to start the car there were no lights.  The battery was dead!   BMW batteries are over $300 and they last about 3 years.  I was not going to buy another one, so I called Sears and while they couldn't find one for my car, he said if I brought the battery in we could size one up.  I thought "great", so I went to jump in the Cadillac, and its' battery was dead too.  I had forgotten to put the charger on it and it had been sitting for over a month, ugh!  I knew the pickup was working, so I loaded the battery up and off I went.

I arrived a Sears 20 minutes later and within a few minutes we had found a battery with the same dimensions, cranking amps and reserve charge.  I was soon back on my way home and I had the battery in place in no time.  With a turn of the key the car fired right up.  The fuel gauge was reading nearly empty, which is not good for storing a car (can't believe I did that), so I went to fill the car up with premium fuel.  With premium at a $4.15 a gallon I was happy it only took 11 gallons.   This is by far my most fuel efficient car I have, so I will probably driving it a lot more as fuel prices climb for summer.

With all of my chores done and the sun sinking low on the horizon, I decided it was time to go for a run.  It had been a perfect day.

No comments:

Post a Comment