Saturday, December 17, 2011

Day 500, The big party

Well, the day of my annual Christmas party is here.  I've been hosting this party for nearly 18 years and there are usually around 80 to 100 people in attendance.  Luckily they do not all come at the same time and it is standing room only.

My office is hosting the Coffee Clatter event and this the clatter where we do a white elephant gift exchange.  It is always a lot of fun and comical to see what people wind up getting.  I went through my re-gifting box and found three items I would happy to bring to the event.

I had hoped to leave the office immediately following the clatter but ended up staying until noon.  On my way home I stopped and picked up a huge meat and cheese tray and a veggie tray from the store. I still needed to do some cleaning and to run the vacuum and cook the pork loin and heat up the two large spiral cut hams.  Luckily my parents came over at 2pm and 5pm we were ready for guest.

By 5:30pm the house was packed and parking in the field was started to fill up.  I had laid down Christmas lights along the path through the yard out into the pasture to guide people in from the dark.  I had a great time meeting everyone and seeing everyone have a great time.  My parents were amazing as always, manning the kitchen and serving wine and drinks, and keeping the kitchen in order.  I gave several tours of the house and grounds including the potting shed and a visit to the chickens.

By 9:30pm the party was winding down and the clean up process started.  I'm always amazed at the huge amount of trash and debris that follows a big party.  I was really happy that nothing was broken and nothing landed in the carpet that would require professional cleaners.

I finally had the  house cleaned up and everything back in its place by 11:50pm.  I crawled into bed a little after midnight and just listened to the radio for bit to decompress.   It was a great party and I had a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment