Monday, July 30, 2012

Day 724, New Chickens

First thing on my list to do today is put away the Traveleze.  The trailer has been out in the driveway for a week since I brought it home from Flyte Camp.  I don't think I'm going to be using it anytime soon, so it needs to be put away out of the sun. Getting the trailer in the shop isn't that hard but get all the cars parked in around it can be a challenge.

Corn getting tall.
With my chicken population down to 3 I decided to look on Craigslist and see if there were any chickens for sale.  I found one posting in Sisters for 6 chickens that were about 11 months old which is perfect and they were not asking an arm and leg for them.  They Americana's, a Java and a Welsummer.  I made a drive out to Sisters and an hour later I was back home with 6 new chickens.  I had let my three out, so they were running around the yard and not in the pen.  I was easily able to get all six in the pen and they seemed to settle in right away.

I spent the rest of the afternoon working on the yard and come dinner time I needed to put the three hens in with the new girls.  For the most part is was peaceful, until the two dominant  hens of each group decided they needed to establish the pecking order.  The feathers were a flying, but for the most part they kept it civil.

The corn is getting tall with the tallest stalk about 6'.  With any luck the corn should be ready by the end of August and just before the first frost.  With nights already getting down in the high 40's I could see this be an early frost year.

No comments:

Post a Comment