Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Day 696, Cleaning out the garage.

The biggest part of my day was spent cleaning out my garage.  Over the last several months and even years the garage has collected a huge amount of clutter and I have to clean it out before I go crazy.  My old sofa has been in the garage for over 3 years carefully covered, a steamer trunk from 1871, 18 years of Architectural Digest magazines and on and on.  Most of the stuff just needed to be sorted out and put away in the proper place.  I did fill my trash can and  one large trash bag with junk.

I interrupted my my cleaning to attend the 9th running of the Rockchuck Ramble in downtown.  This the shortest fun run at just over 5 blocks and has become a community favorite.  It was fun to be there and run the race with my parents.  Shortly after the event however I as back to cleaning.

Old trunk has been in the garage for years.
At 4 pm I was invited to an open house of a friend who just moved into a new home after getting married.  I was anxious to see their home and see several of my friends.  I got cleaned up and had a truck load of errands to run on the way there.  I stopped off at a mailing store and gave them a huge bag of Styrofoam pellets, then to the bottle and can return at Fred Meyer to give my bottles away, then to the thrift store to drop off some old pots and pans and finally to my office to drop off a huge bag of recyclables.   I arrived exactly as my friends did and we all walked in together.  I had bought a blue spruce tree as a gift and left that on the porch.

The party was a lot of fun and there was tons of food, but I still had a ton of work to do back home.  I was back in the garage at 7 pm and kept cleaning.  At 9 pm I called my friend Christian and asked if he wanted my sofa, a few pictures, a set of glasses and the old trunk.  He said yes to all and I loaded up my truck and took them to him.  I love the sofa and hated to get rid of it, but it has been in my garage for three years.  The trunk I said he could use, until I move into a bigger home, which will probably be never.

It felt so good to have the garaged cleaned out and everything put away.  I hope I never let it get that out of hand again.

No comments:

Post a Comment