Thursday, July 5, 2012

Day 699, Getting ready for the parade

The work day was spent getting ready for a parade.  We typically have 80 to 90 entries, but we are already over 100, so we know it is going to be a long one.  We are also implementing new safety rules, so it will be interesting to see how they are received.

The original alternator
After work I drove the Chevelle down to Sears to get it's battery replaced.  The Die Hard battery is just under two years old and it should still be under warranty.  The Sears tech took the battery and put it on the charger and said it would take up to 40 minutes to test the battery.  I wasn't too excited about having to wait 40 minutes for a battery I knew was bad, but that's what I had to do.  After replacing the battery I was scheduled to take the car to Prineville so Rick could show me how to replace the brushes in the Alternator.  I called and told him I would be a little late and would let him know when I was done.  Luckily the battery tester immediately said the battery was bad and I got a new one and headed to Prineville.

It was the perfect evening for the convertible and despite the flickering generator light the car drove great.  It's always fun to visit Rick and there were a bunch of Rick's friends enjoying a drink on the lawn and talking cars.  Rick quickly had me remove the alternator and he then pulled it part to showed me the warn brushes.  He had picked up a set a new brushes and after a little modification had the alternator back together for me to put back in the car.  With the alternator cleaned up and put back in the light still flickered, so the next thing to replace is the voltage regulator.  I can pick one up and replace it tomorrow.
The 42 transmission shaft busted off

Rick also discovered why the overdrive on the 42 Packard was not working.  After having tried everything possible, he pulled the transmission out and discovered the main shaft was sheered off at the end.  This piece had been added on at some point and in pretty poor condition when I got it.  It was disappointing to have spent so much money on "good used" transmission to find out it was in such bad condition.  Rick has spent hours on this transmission and I could have easily bought a good rebuilt transmission for what I spent on this boat anchor.  I made a phone call to the Packard guy in Seattle and said he would send me another shaft.

July 3rd, 2012, full moon
I enjoyed the drive home, and I wanted to quickly wash the car for tomorrows parade.

I washed the car as the sunset and as the moon peaked over the horizon. It was a full moon and it was spectacular.

No comments:

Post a Comment