Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Day 518, Tuesday and back to work

With the holidays behind us it's back to work.  I was actually looking forward to getting back at it and putting some structure in my day.  I had a stack of newspapers to go through and 178 emails to sort through.  At noon I had an Executive Board meeting and everything was humming along.

The took a turn for the worse when my key employee of 15 years gave her two week notice.  I think I was in a bit of a shock.  In my mind there was no way I thought we could ever replace here.  The opportunity is fantastic, but I was still in shock.  I know we can make it work and change is good, but is one change I was not willing to accept.

The rest of the day was extremely busy trying to figure out what to do.  I knew I didn't have the time to go to my workout, so I canceled it for the rest of the week.  There is no way I can take the time with this huge hole in my office.

I went home that evening and made dinner and sat down to think of a game plan.  I couldn't come up with anything I was starting to feel the starting of a head cold setting in.  I took Airborne, a decongestant and a musinex and went to bed.

As I laid in bed I came to the realization that the saddest part of losing a great employee and friend was the fact I wouldn't be seeing her daughters as often. I have fallen for these two girls, the moment I held them as babies (the oldest is now 12 and the youngest is 6).  I have pictures of me holding them as infants on my lap at my desk, as I tried to type on the computer.  It was sad to think I would no longer be seeing them in the office on a regular basis. They were always a highlight of my day.

I ended up not sleeping a wink and watched the clock all night long.

No comments:

Post a Comment