Sunday, January 15, 2012

Day 529, A nice restful Saturday.

I had nothing I had to get done today, so I was looking forward to nice leisurely day and mostly resting.  I could tell the antibiotics were helping clear my head, but the annoying cough was still hanging on.  I spent most of the morning drinking tea and trying not to cough.

It was a beautiful day and I put on my hat with ear covers, and heavy jacket and went outside to do a little work in the yard including taking the wreath off the mailbox and off the front door.  The birds are still eating the juniper berries and sitting in the tree over the front patio and doing there business.  There must be well over 1,000 droppings every three days, but luckily they wash off fairly easy.  With our dryer than normal winter I watered all the newly planted trees to make sure they would make through the winter.

Fort Snelling, Minnesota where Ole trained for the war.
At 7 pm I had a friend, Christian, from the Lodge came over with a unique project he wanted to know if I would help him with.  Christian is Danish and was asked by another Lodge member if he could translate the life story of a man named Ole Larson, who was born in 1842 in Norway.  Ole wrote of his life story shortly before his death in 1929, but he wrote it in Danish and the family has not been able to read it.  Christian wanted to know if he translated it, could I type it, I said yes.   This is a great project that I really enjoyed doing.  We spent several hours translating the first half the memoirs, before we had to call it night.  The story is fascinating and tells of his journey to America and his service in the Union Cavalry during the Civil war, it is truly a wonderful story and I will be excited to finish up the translations for the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment