Thursday, January 26, 2012

Day 541, More progress as the restoration nears compleation.

Screen door  and window back in place.
Today I had a meeting in Bend at noon and it was less than a mile from the Traveleze.  I needed to bring the keys to the trailer door handle and sample hubcap to show what size the trailer needs (10 7/8).  As soon as my meeting was over I headed over to Flyte Camp to quickly drop off the two items.  I couldn't wait to see how the progress was coming.

Today the windows are finally going back in.  After hours of work, lots of re-fabrication, all of the original windows are ready to go back in.  We still have not found the two window to replace the incorrect windows, but the replacement windows are a better match and will work until we can find the exact match.  Justin had the entire front window assembly ready to go in and one window was already in, along with the screen door.  The screen door is the largest single original piece left in the trailer and it was hanging in the doorway once more.  The windows are going to look spectacular!  I really can't wait to see them all in.

I headed back to work shortly and I soon received a text from Justin that he was having difficulty finding the hub caps from all of his normal resources.  Naturally nothing on the trailer has been easy to find and it is looking like the deep cone moon hub caps measuring 10 7/8 are next to impossible to find.  I think at this point the best thing to do is order new wheels with new moon hub caps.  It's going to cost another arm and a leg, but at this point I really don't want to skimp.  Justin I talked about several options, including just using trim rings, chrome lugs and new grease caps, but I some how feel that might seem incomplete.  My guess is, is that new wheels and caps are in the Traveleze's future.  The new white walls tires arrived and I can't wait to see them on the trailer.

Straight from Portland, a cool retro spice rack.
Another purchase that is turning out to have perfect timing is the purchase of the vintage spice rack.  I have no idea why I though I needed it, but it looked very retro 50's and I think it will look great in the trailer.  The rack was on Craigslist in the Portland area, and a buddy of mine was over in Portland attending a conference, so I texted him.  He said sure he could pick it up and the place turned out to be right on his way home back to Central Oregon.  I had a Son's of Norway meeting tonight in Bend and I stopped by and picked it up on my way home.  The timing was perfect.  I'll wait to install it in the trailer, but it really is cool.

I got home about 8:45 pm and my lingering cold was getting the better of me.  I dragged the trash can down the driveway, fed and watered the chickens and then went in to crash.

It was a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment